The sixth bridge across the River Thames at Walton on Thames opened to traffic at 5.47am on Monday 22 July 2013 after eighteen months of construction works. This is the first permanent bridge across the River Thames in this location since 1864. Although the new bridge opened in July 2013, a considerable amount of work has been undertaken since to complete the entire project including the removal of the two redundant bridges; construction of new roads, combined footways/cycleways and bridleways; installation of accommodation bridges in the Cowey Sale; construction of a permanent cafe and toilet building and landscaped the entire site which was all completed by 24 October 2014.
The completed bridge looking from Walton Lane
The new Walton Bridge looking from the Shepperton embankment
The new Cowey Sale viaduct and bridleway linking the A244 with Walton Lane and the Cowey Sale car park
The renovated 1864 built Cowey Sale viaduct
New cafe/toilet building
The construction works in connection with the new building has been completed but before the building can open to the public, ownership needs to be transferred from Surrey County Council to Elmbridge Borough Council who will be the ultimate owners of the building. This process is ongoing, but does take time to complete.
Once the ownership has been transferred to Elmbridge Borough Council, they will then be in a position to open the new toilets although the cafe facility may not open immediately as the future cafe tenant will need to fit out the facility. Both parties are actively progressing the legal aspects with a view to being able to open the facilities as soon as is practically possible.
Information from the previous meeting that took place on 16 April 2014 is attached through the Community Meeting link below.
We have details and drawings regarding the project on the links below.
If you have any questions regarding any part of the Walton Bridge project please contact us.
Files available to download
- Walton Bridge Scheme Plan (437.6 KB)