Chairman of the County Council
About the Chairman's role
The Chairman's role is a-political; the post is elected annually; the post-holder must be a serving County Councillor; they are the Civic Leader of the County Council.
The Chairman is responsible for:
- Presiding over Full Council meetings.
- Promoting the priorities and services of the County Council.
- Encouraging community involvement in the Council's activities.
- Representing the County Council at Civic and Ceremonial events.
- Inviting individuals and organisations' representatives to County Council events.
Mr David Munro is our Chairman; a Surrey County Councillor since 1997; he represents Farnham South.
Our Vice Chairman
Mrs Sally Ann B Marks is our Vice Chairman.
More about Mr Munro
After a career in the army (Royal Engineers), Mr Munro worked in the computer sector for a number of years. He is currently the Administrative Director for a small software house. He is also the Treasurer and Trustee of a national music charity giving support to singers at the Royal Academy of Music and the Royal College of Music. He has been the governor of three schools in Farnham, currently at the Abbey special school and has also been involved in several youth organisations in that town. He is committed to promoting the full range of Surrey County Council's activities, but has a special interest in encouraging more science, technology, engineering and mathematics learning in schools, and helping victims of crime.
Mr Munro represents the council at a large number of events, including royal visits, presenting awards, for example the Duke of Edinburgh's Awards, opening new buildings and projects and taking a keen interest in and supporting community activities across Surrey and the wider south east.
Mr Munro is happy to:
- support activities within the county council and beyond
- be invited to present awards
- officially open new buildings and projects
- visit County Council teams in their local offices
If you have an event in the future, which you would like the Chairman to attend or visit, please contact the Chairman's Office on 03456 009 009 or email the Chairman's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to The Chairman's Office, Surrey County Council, Room 121, County Hall, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2DN.